Maryland as home to a healthy community where no dental disease is left untreated.
To improve the oral health of Marylanders through education, access to care programs, and community engagement, to create an impact of improved oral health in Maryland.
*Mission Statement change pending IRS approval*
Case Statement for Fundraising
The MSDAF is dedicated to advancing the oral healthcare of the public by supporting outreach programs that offer dental care and oral health education to underserved populations. MSDA believes that all Marylanders regardless of barriers to care should be the beneficiaries of the finest dental treatment delivered by providers that have the same level of training. The MSDA membership is the majority of this state's oral health care givers and providers of dental treatment and is dedicated to improve access to needed oral healthcare and help to eliminate health disparities.
The MSDAF will be focusing its fund raising efforts on helping outreach initiatives to meet the need to address both access to oral care as well as the utilization of this care.
The Mission of Mercy was the first Outreach program supported by the MSDAF. In an effort to increase access to quality dental care MSDA members volunteered their time and professional skills by partnering with local organizations to provide oral healthcare for individuals who suffered due to lack of financial resources and economic hardships. This model of access to care through volunteerism is the hallmark of the Mission of Mercy outreach program.
The MSDAF will encourage and support access to quality oral care at the local level by making grants available to MSDA components. As leaders within their communities, and professionals who are compassionate about helping the people they serve, MSDA members will continue to support access to care within their local communities by volunteering their time and services.
Research continues to show that good dental health adds to the overall condition of an individual's systemic health. The relationship between oral health, overall health, and well-being throughout a person's lifespan is based on the effectiveness and importance of implementing preventive measures. To support and promote the need for quality oral healthcare and help to eliminate health disparities, the MSDAF will focus its fund raising efforts on providing dental care to all, and access to those who have a need.
Purpose, Description, and Objectives: The dental student scholarships help pre-doctoral dental students defray a part of their education expenses. The purpose is to help support the education of the dental workforce to promote the public's oral health.
Dollar Amount and Number of Scholarships Available: Two (2) scholarships in the amount of $2,500 yearly or one (1) scholarship in the amount of $5,000 yearly
Access to Care Missions
Funds within this line item in the MSDAF will be focusing on helping outreach initiatives to meet the need to address both access to oral care, as well as the utilization of care. The Foundation does not supply funding for the treatment of individual patients.
Goals of MSDAF
- Increase support of charitable dental programs to bring dental care to those who cannot afford or access care
- Provide that Maryland will have adequate professional dental care for the future through support of scholarships to state dental students
- Enhance image of MSDAF and its programs among MSDA members and the public at large
- Increase donor participation (MSDA members and the general public)
- Increase revenue through donations and grants
About Mission of Mercy
While there are other Missions of Mercy around the country, ours is a gathering of volunteer dental professionals who along with a volunteer staff of several hundred hold free, two day dental clinics at locations around the State.
A few examples of the experiences we have seen at MOM events over the past few years:
- The superintendent of the St. Mary’s school district made it very clear that he would not have mile-long lines waiting in the heat to be seen at one of his high schools, and opened the doors to the auditorium and lobby of the school to accommodate the patients waiting to be seen during the two-day event of the Southern Maryland Mission of Mercy.
- Some families and individuals were sleeping in cars and in chairs waiting for the doors to open in the early hours of the morning.
- Everyone had smiles on their faces and hope in the hearts. More than 800 patients were treated in the June 2012 event. Dentists of many specialties were present, as well as more than 700 volunteers from all over Maryland.
MSDA Foundation Board
For more information on the MSDAF, or its funds, please contact Eric Biagioli at email@example.com.
Dr. Diane D. Romaine, President
151 Bishop Murphy Dr
Frostburg, MD 21532-1329
Dr. Garner D. Morgan, Vice President
28095 Three Notch Rd Ste 1A
Mechanicsville, MD 20659-3373
Dr. Thomas a'Becket, Treasurer
510 Bramblewood Ct
Millersville, MD 21108
Dr. Christopher G. Liang, Secretary
10000 Falls Rd Ste 214
Potomac, MD 20854-4103
Dr. Jay Nokkeo, Member
1 Bank St. Suite 240
Gaithersburg, MD 20878-1554
Dr. Gregory S. Allen, Member
1346 S Division St Ste 104
Salisbury, MD 21804-7021
Dr. Harold Goodman, Member
2307 Birmingham Ct
Jarrettsville, MD 21084
Dr. Leon D. Katz, Member
6210 Park Heights Ave Ste 105
Baltimore, MD 21215-3626
Dr. George Shepley, Member
711 W 40th St, Ste 213
Baltimore, MD 21211
Corey R. Thompson, Member
7024 Troy Hill Road Ste C
Elkridge, MD 21075
Dr. Melvin Weissburg, Member
9811 Mallard Dr, Ste 112
Laurel, MD 20708
Dr. Robert J. Wilson, Jr., Member
9 Desellum Ave
Gaithersburg, MD 20877-1957