410-964-2880      8901 Herrmann Dr, Columbia, MD 21045
Capitol Campaign
Update My Info

What's Happening?

May 2016
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

FAQs - Continuing Education and Licensure

Please note - All rules, regulations and statutes for dental and hygiene licenses are maintained by the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners. They can be reached at 410-402-8501. Please contact them for specific questions regarding your licenses. You may also view their website for specific statutes. 

Click the questions listed below to view the answers

Are there required courses?

There are 4 required courses that dentists must take, three of which can count towards your total number of CE credit.  

Required Every Renewal Cycle:
-CPR certification/renewal for each two year renewal period. This does not count as CE credit.
-Infection Control (2 hours) Counts towards your total.  

Required Every Other Renewal Cycle:
-Abuse and neglect (2 hours) Counts towards your total. 
-Prescribing and disposal of prescription drugs, beginning with the 2015 renewal cycle.
Education must be 'clinical' in all areas

All CEs must be clinical in nature. Courses such as financial management, personal finance, personal business matters, personal health/recreation, politics, memory training and speed reading. 

For more information, please click here.
When do my 30 CE credits have to be obtained by in order to qualify for relicensure?

December 31 of the year PRIOR to the license expiring. If a license expires on June 30, 2015 then all CE credits to qualify for renewal must be taken by December 31, 2014. The Licensees may still request a six month extension, but all CE credits must be obtained on or before the expiration date of the license (June 30). Questions??? Call the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners (MSDBE) at 410-402-8501.

How many credits do I need for relicensure?

30 hours of CE every two years. This applies for both dentists and dental hygienists.

Of those 30 hours, how many are needed in specific areas for Infection Control?

Two hours of Infection Control within two years.

Can I obtain continuing education credits from other states?

Yes, as long as they are approved sponsors in the CE regulations (ADA or AGD state constituent society, etc.) and are 'clinical' in nature. Please contact the MSBDE for a list of approved sponsors.

Does Maryland accept reciprocity?

No, it does not. However, the MSBDE has licensure by waiver of clinical examination for dentists and dental hygienists. A dentist must be in active clinical practice for the past five (5) years and a dental hygienist must be in active clinical practice for the past three (3) years.

As a new dental school or dental hygiene graduate, when am I required to complete the continuing education requirements for my license renewal?

A licensee who has received a license within 6 months of graduating from an approved dental or hygiene school is not required to fulfill the continuing education requirements of the Board for the first renewal following initial licensure. 

How many of my continuing education courses can be obtained from home study courses?

Up to 17 hours by a Board approved sponsor. Contact the Board to learn if this course has been approved at 410-402-8501.

As a retired member on inactive status, am I required to comply with continuing education requirements?

Yes, if you want to renew your license, you must follow CE requirements. Also, licensees who are on an inactive status shall provide evidence of compliance with the CE requirements of the SBDE for the two-year period preceding application for reactivation of their license. Also if license is suspended, the licensee needs to be current with SBDE CE credits to be reinstated.

If I am retired, can I still maintain my license if I want?

If you have not practiced actively in dentistry or dental hygiene with three (3) years before the license expires, the Board must issue an inactive license.

As a dental hygienist, how many hours of CE do I need to monitor levels of nitrous oxide?

None. Maryland licensed dental hygienists may not monitor nitrous oxide.

How many credits can I receive for teaching continuing education courses?

The MSBDE will count up to a maximum of 15 credit hours of CE for time spent in preparing lectures, preparing articles in dental journals or preparing and presenting table clinics. *In addition to the above, the MSBDE recognizes successful completion of the following written examinations as equivalent to 25 full hours of CE: Academy of General Dentistry's Fellowship exam and exams leading to recognized specialty boards' Diplomate status.

Patient Records and What A Dentist May Charge for Copies (Maryland SBDE)

A frequent source of complaints received by the Dental Board stems from confusion regarding the law governing the release of copies of medical records. The applicable law can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations ("CFR”) 45 CFR § 164.524 (c) and the Annotated Code of Maryland, Health General Article, ("HG”) Sections 4-304 and 4-309. The law provides that dentists, as well as other health care providers, are required to release copies of medical records to patients who request them in writing, within 21 working days of the request. The patient may also request that the records be forwarded directly to another dentist. The originals may be retained by the treating dentist. Although the law provides for 21 working days to provide the copies, the Board appreciates dentists providing the copies at the earliest opportunity since the patient usually seeks the records for subsequent dental treatment. The Board also requests that dentists contact patients at their earliest opportunity once a request for a copy of records has been made so that any confusion over the payment of copying fees may be avoided.

Please note the following:

A patient is entitled to a copy of their records, or the patient may request that the copies be forwarded to another health care provider;

A dentist may not refuse to provide copies of records because of the failure of the patient to pay for health care (in other words, any outstanding balance the patient may owe for treatment is irrelevant);

A dentist may require that the appropriate copying fees be paid prior to providing the copies;

Dentists may charge no more than the following for copies of dental records:

- 76 cents per page for copying of each page of the medical record (No copying fee if originals are released. This cost has been adjusted in accordance with the Consumer Price Index as allowed by HG § 4-304); Add to this figure:

- For copies of x-rays, models, and photographs, a dentist may charge a reasonable, cost based fee, provided that the fee includes only the cost of copying, including the cost of supplies for and labor of copying. (No copying fee if the originals are released); Add to this figure:

- Actual cost of postage (stamps) if the records are mailed.

Please note that pursuant to the CFR a preparation fee and retrieval fee which was formerly permitted under HG § 4-304 (c) may no longer be charged.

There are no other applicable fees for copying medical records or x-rays.

Please note that the records laws and fees affected by the Consumer Price Index may change with time.